Ocho Rios, Jamaica, is a captivating destination known for its stunning natural beauty and vibrant culture. Ocho Rios boasts lush rainforests, cascading waterfalls like Dunn's River Falls, and beautiful white sand beaches. Visitors can immerse themselves in the lively Jamaican atmosphere, explore historic sites, and partake in thrilling outdoor activities, making it an ideal stop for cruisers.
Top Things to Do in Port:
- Climb the iconic Dunn's River Falls, a natural staircase of terraced waterfalls surrounded by lush greenery.
- Experience adventure at Mystic Mountain, featuring zip lines, a bobsled ride, and stunning views of the rainforest.
- Dive into the crystal-clear waters of the Blue Hole, which is a natural lagoon surrounded by beautiful tropical vegetation.
- Coast down the beautiful Ocho Rios' White River on a bamboo raft, guided by a licensed Raft Captain that will steer you through Jamaica's lush foliage while learning Jamaican lore and listening to Reggae music.
- Explore the Green Grotto Caves and step back in time when you decend down into the labyrinthine maze full of stunning stalagmites, stalactites, pristine water flows and more
- Enjoy the flavors of Jamaican cuisine by savoring the famous jerk chicken, which is marinated in a blend of spices and slow-cooked for a smoky flavor. In the mood for seafood, try ackee and saltfish, the national dish, made with ackee fruit and salted cod. If you would rather have a quick and tasty snack, grab a Jamaican patty, a pastry filled with various savory fillings
- Bring Jamaica home by exploring craft markets for handmade items like wood carvings, woven baskets, and vibrant textiles. Experience Jamican Rum which is locally produced and known for its rich and diverse flavors. Jamaican's renowned Blue Mountain Coffee, prized for its exceptional quality and flavor is the top item to bring home to celebrate Jamaican flare all year long.
Currency and Payments: The official currency is the Jamaican Dollar (JMD). While some establishments may accept major credit cards, it's advisable to have Jamaican currency for local markets and smaller vendors.
- Taxis: Taxis are readily available and can be hired for excursions or local travel. Make sure to negotiate the fare before getting in the taxi, as there are no meters.
- Private Tours: Opt for private tours, often offered by locals, for a personalized and immersive experience.
- Cruise Line Shuttles: Some cruise lines provide shuttle services to popular attractions, ensuring a convenient and organized experience.
- Walking: Walking is a great way to explore Ocho Rios, particularly in the downtown area. Just be sure to take safety precautions, such as staying in well-lit areas and avoiding walking alone at night. It's important to note that in Jamaica, traffic drives on the left-hand side of the road. Additionally, some areas of Ocho Rios may not have sidewalks or pedestrian crossings, so it's important to be aware of your surroundings when walking.
Language: English is the official language spoken in Ocho Rios and throughout Jamaica. The local population may also use Jamaican Patois, a creole language, adding a unique cultural touch to interactions.
Cruise411 has the largest selection of cruise deals for all of the popular cruise lines! Book your next cruise today!
Get your choice of a FREE bonus offer when you book with Cruise411 instead of booking directly with the cruise line. We give you our exclusive bonus offers, plus all qualifying cruise line offers, plus all of the cruise line loyalty program benefits. Shop now to get the very best rewards and the lowest rates with Cruise411or call 800-553-7090.